Grief and Bereavement


We understand that it is normal to experience emotional responses to loss that continue well beyond a funeral service.
That is why our care extends to bereavement support.

If you feel you are needing guidance or just need to talk with someone, please call us on 03 5422 6455. We are here for you, even after the funeral is over.

Our caring staff can also assist you to arrange fitting tributes, personal memorials or remembrance services. This can be helpful at difficult times like Christmas, anniversaries or other family events.

With our community connections we can also put you in touch with support networks and associations. Please see our list below of helpful contacts and grief support references.

When someone has died we sometimes don’t know where to turn for help and support so we have put together some helpful information for you.


For information about what to do following a death contact Centrelink on: 132 300 or go to

Centrelink also have a handy checklist for people and organisations you may also need to contact.

Who to notify checklist

Veterans Affairs

For information about notification and bereavement assistance call Veterans Affairs on their General enquiries number (8am-5pm, Mon-Fri) Telephone: 133 254 Regional callers: 1800 555 254

Or go to their Bereavement Assistance Information on their website:

Coroners Court of Victoria

When a death occurs suddenly, unexpectedly or in traumatic circumstances it can be reported to the Coroner. The Coroners Court will answer any questions you may have to support you through this important process.

For information about the Coronial Process or what happens when a loved one is in the care of the Coroners court please contact 1300 309 519 email or go to their website:

The Coroners Court of Victoria also offers experienced staff who can provide assistance during this difficult time. For further information or to speak to a Family Liaison Officer contact us on 1300 309 519.

Dept. of Defence

For information about Bereavement Assistance for an ADF member please contact the Dept. of Defence on 1800 624 608 or go to their website:

Transport Accident Commission (TAC)   

If someone has died as a result of a transport accident, the TAC can help by providing information, financial support and advice.

If you have any questions, or would like more information, please call the TAC and ask for a support coordinator. You can call the TAC Customer Service Centre on 1300 654 329 or toll-free on 1800 332 556.

State Trustees

State Trustees can help with issues and Questions relating to Estates and Wills. They can be contacted on: (03) 9111 7066 Outside Melbourne Call 1300 138 672.

Their brochure ‘needing Help after Someone Has Died is an informative resource. Go to: or download the brochure Needing-Help-after-someone-has-died.pdf

When Someone Has Died Overseas

Each year around 1,000 Australians die overseas, usually through illness or accident. The death of a loved one is always distressing for family and friends and when the death occurs overseas, this can make the circumstances even more difficult.

Funeral arrangements can be particularly challenging when a loved one dies overseas. The following government link explains what to do if someone dies overseas.


Below you will find a list of bereavement and counselling support services.


Lifeline is a national charity providing all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services. Phone 13 11 14 (24 hour service) or go to:  


Griefline is Australia's only dedicated grief helpline service that provides counselling support services free of charge to individuals and families. Contact (03) 9935 7400 Regional callers: 1300 845 745 or go to


Mensline Australia is a professional telephone and online support and information service for Australian men 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Phone 1300 78 99 78 or go to:


Kids Helpline

Kids Helpline is Australia's only free, private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25. Phone 1800 551 800 or go to


Headspace is the National Youth Mental Health Foundation providing early intervention mental health services to 12-25 year olds.The service is designed to make it easy as possible for a young person and their family to get the help they need for problems affecting their wellbeing. Call 1800 650890 or go to

For the LGBTI Community Phone 9485 7700 Phone 9397 1698

And Dr Kerry Proctor 

Phone  0412 883 458

Australian Centre for Grief & Bereavement

The Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement Counselling and Support Service, provides a statewide specialist bereavement service for individuals, children and families who need assistance following the death of someone close to them. Phone (03) 9265 2100 or go to:

Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue supports people who experience depression and anxiety. They listen, provide information and advice, and point you in the right direction so you can seek further support. Contact 1300 224 636 or go to their website:

Road Trauma Support Service Victoria

Road Trauma Support Service provide counselling and support to people impacted by road trauma. Counselling services are provided free of charge to anyone who has been impacted by a road incidentPhone 1300 367797 or go to for more information about this support.

Support After Suicide

Support After Suicide have information and resources available and provide counselling and group support directly to those bereaved by suicide. Contact them on (03) 9421 7640 or email:

Visit the website at:


Redkite provides essential support to children and young people with cancer, and their families. If you have experienced a loss, whether the death happened recently or many years ago, Redkite’s support team offers free grief counselling to you and all members of your family. For further information contact Redkite on: 1800 REDKITE (1800 733 548) or email:

Go to their website:

Compassionate Friends Victoria

Compassionate Friends offer a safe haven, a listening and understanding ear, a place where you can let down the mask, and if you wish, talk about your son or daughter who has died. 
Contact them on (03) 9888 4944 or 1800 641 091 or go to their website for further information:

Victims of Crime Support

For support for people affected by crime please contact 1800 819 817 or send a text message to 0427 767891 

Go to their website:

SIDS and Kids:            

‘SIDS and Kids Victoria offers services to those affected by the death of a child who dies suddenly and unexpectedly regardless of the cause of death. Contact them on 1300 308307 or      

SANDS (Vic):              

SANDS offers Miscarriage, Stillbirth & Neonatal death support. Contact the support line: 1300 072 637.

You can call the support line to speak to someone who understands. Sands parent supporters are on call 24 hours a day/7 days a week’

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment the National Relay Service offers a phone solution to assist you. Go to: or Contact the TTY (Teletypewriter) Service on 133 677 (for hearing impaired) or phone 1300 555 727 (speak and listen).

Translation & Interpreter Services

For immediate phone interpreting contact 13 14 50. For further information go to or for general enquiries phone 1300 655 820.